Home Bouyant

On Monday morning, April 4th I checked my messages on my phone. There was a message from Sunday, the day before. My phone doesn’t work great down at my barn and often the voicemails don’t come through until I go up to my house on the hill. This message was from the R.A.C.E. Fund and it was urgent. There was a Thoroughbred at the auction who was scheduled to ship to slaughter that evening and if he had a place to go, they would try to raise the funds to get him out of there.

There are so many horses at these auctions that they can’t save them all so they focus on the horses who have a place to go, but they do their absolute best to find someone willing to help the horse. In this case, Marlene Murray, President of the R.A.C.E. Fund, reached out to me and many others desperately trying to find this horse a place. They believed his name was Home Bouyant and that he was 19 years old.

HB had been at the auction site for two weeks.

I felt badly because it was too late for him but I texted Marlene to tell her to text me in the future because texts normally come through when I’m down at my barn but calls often do not. I normally don’t check my phone in the evenings because I’m usually exhausted and I need time to recharge.

Help us help him.

Marlene called me later that day to tell him he has escaped shipping, which was only a temporary reprieve, but he probably had until Wednesday. She said she couldn’t fundraise for him unless he had a place to go. I didn’t have room for him and his care wasn’t in our budget, but I said, we would take him. She told me she hadn’t identified him, and his tattoo was hard to read, but the people trying to help him at the auction had done some research. They thought he was Home Bouyant, a 19 year old retired racer who had been trained to barrel race. She advised me to look at his pictures and videos before making the commitment. I did that and that made me want to help get him out of there even more. I could see he had been someone’s horse. His condition, his beautiful tail and the comments about the training he obviously had in the video.

We’ll probably never know how he ended up there. Did his owner pass away? Did someone decide they wanted a new horse? Maybe they lost their job or sold their farm. There are better options than sending a horse to slaughter. It doesn’t really matter now. This boy is safe. He’s in quarantine, arranged by the R.A.C.E. Fund and will soon come to Leighton Farm. We don’t have space right now, so we’ll evaluate him and then send him to one of our foster farms until we have a spot in our retraining program.

One week later…after getting to the quarantine farm.

If you can, please help us help him. You can do this by donating toward his care and retraining. We really don’t know what we’re getting into. He seems to be sound and healthy, but time is going to tell us exactly what he needs. You can also help by volunteering – we always need more help.